Choose the leanest, freshest
ground turkey breast (97%
or leaner). You want to be sure
that there’s no skin included.
I Love Me Café ™
- 1 pound ground turkey breast, hormone-free and antibiotic free
- 1 organic egg
- ¼ cup of cooked quinoa (see the Whole Grain cooking chart)
- ¼ cup of finely chopped carrot
- 1 zucchini, diced fine
- ½ cup of onion, diced small
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 teaspoon of curry powder
- 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce
- A pinch of black pepper
Quinoa Turkey Meatloaf
Makes 4 servings
1. Preheat oven to 325°
2. Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix well
3. Form the mixture into a loaf and place into a pan or meatloaf pan
Optional: You may add a tablespoon of organic chicken broth to the bottom of the pan to keep the meatloaf more moist
4. Place the meatloaf pan in the oven and bake until the internal temperature, measured with a thermometer, reads 165° (approximately 25 minutes)
Optional: Brush the top of the loaf with tomato sauce
When done, let cool for 5 minutes. Serve with spaghetti squash, or steamed green beans.
Chef Angela: Notice how little salt I use – just two teaspoons for a whole meatloaf. If you want to cut the salt in half, add sauteed onions and fresh garlic. You can double this recipe to serve 8, or to save extra slices for lunch.
Debbie’s Nutritional Notes: Quinoa is incredibly nutritious – rich in vitamins (B1, B2. B6, E) and minerals (potassium, folate, phosphorus, zinc, copper, iron). Its high fiber content can help reduce blood sugar levels, lower cholesterol, and increase your feeling of fullness to help with weight loss.
Quinoa is also high in protein compared to other plant based
foods, and contains all the essential amino acids you need.
Choose the leanest, freshest turkey ground turkey breast you can find (97% or leaner) to be sure that there’s no skin included. Make a nutritional investment and get hormone-free, antibiotic-free turkey to stay as close to natural as possible.