The flavorful poaching liquid
becomes a delicious sauce
to serve over the fish.
I Love Me Café ®
Photo Credit: CIA/Ben Fink
Fish Poached in
- 4 teaspoons almond oil
- 1 pound 8 ounces fish fillet, such as flounder or salmon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups thinly sliced fennel bulb
- 2 cups sliced leek, white and light green parts
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 orange, juiced
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot
- ¼ cup toasted sliced almonds
- ¼ cup minced fennel fronds
Fish Poached in Fennel-Orange Broth
This shallow poaching technique can be used for most any type of fish and with a variety of flavor profiles. If you double the recipe for more portions, be sure to increase the size of the pan. The flavorful poaching liquid becomes a delicious sauce to serve over the fish.
MAKES 4 SERVINGS
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cut a piece of parchment paper the size of the pan being used to poach the fish. Coat the parchment paper with a thin layer of the almond oil.
2. Season the fish with the salt and pepper and set aside. Heat the remaining almond oil in the pan over medium heat. Add the fennel and sweat until it starts to soften. Add the leek, garlic and orange zest. Once the leeks begin to soften, place the fish fillet on top of the vegetables.
3. Add enough of the broth to come half to three-quarters of the way up the sides of the fish. Add the orange juice and cover with the prepared parchment paper, oiled side down. Place the pan in the oven and poach just until the fish is opaque, 10 to 15 minutes.
4. Remove the fish from the pan and cover to keep warm. Strain the poaching liquid into a small saucepan and reserve the vegetables. Mix the arrowroot with 1 tablespoon water to form a paste. Bring the poaching liquid to a boil and add the arrowroot paste.
5. Allow to boil until the volume of the poaching liquid is reduced by half and thickened to a sauce consistency. Stir in the almonds and fennel fronds and serve with the sauce poured over the fish and vegetables.
Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 491, Protein 39g, Carbohydrates 14g, Fiber 3g, Total Fat 30g, Saturated Fat 6g,
Sodium 324 mg