An appetizer, or first
course, can signal the
start of a special meal.
I Love Me Café ®
Photo Credit: CIA/Ben Fink
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- ½ cup tahini
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Two 5-ounce cans tuna packed in water, drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon hot chili sauce
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 plum tomatoes, or other small tomatoes
Tahini and Tuna-Stuffed Tomatoes
MAKES 8 SERVINGS
This tuna salad uses hummus (chickpeas and tahini) to bind the tuna.
It can also be used as a spread on a grilled vegetable sandwich, as a dip for raw vegetables, or rolled up on its own inside of leafy greens.
1. Purée the chickpeas, tahini, garlic, green onions, 2 tablespoons of the cilantro, the water, sesame oil, cumin, one can of tuna, lemon juice, chili sauce, salt, and pepper in a blender or food processor until smooth.
2. Add the remaining can of tuna and pulse until the mixture is combined, but some chunks remain.
3. Cut the tops off the tomatoes and take a thin slice off the bottoms so the tomatoes can sit flat on a plate. Hollow out the tomatoes and stuff with the tuna mixture. Garnish with the remaining 1 tablespoon of cilantro.
Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 163, Protein 13 g, Carbohydrates 12.5 g, Fiber 3g, Total Fat 7.5 g, Saturated Fat 1g,
Sodium 182 mg