This recipe is from The Culinary
Institute of America’s The
Diabetes-Friendly Kitchen cookbook, (2012, John Wiley & Sons, Inc.)
I Love Me Café ®
Photo Credit: CIA/Ben Fink
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup sliced cremini mushrooms
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded
- 1 cup whole wheat instant baking mix
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons Parisian fines herb mix (chives, dill, basil, tarragon, chervil)
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 ounce grated hard cheese (Parmesan works well)
MAKES 9 GRIDDLECAKES
Any salt-free, dried herb mixture can be used in these savory griddlecakes. Serve them with extra sautéed mushrooms on top if desired.
1. Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and sweat. When they have released some of their liquid, stir in the onion and cook until the onion is soft and translucent and mushrooms have released most of their liquid. Remove from the heat and stir in the zucchini. Set aside to cool.
2. Preheat a nonstick griddle to medium (about 300 degrees F).
3. Combine the baking mix, salt, sugar, and herb mix. Whisk together the egg and buttermilk. Add to the dry mixture and mix to combine. Stir in the zucchini mixture.
4. Use a half-cup scoop or ladle to portion out the batter onto the nonstick griddle. Cook on both sides until golden brown. Top with the grated cheese and serve.
Nutritional Information Per Griddlecake: Calories 54, Protein 3 g,
Carbohydrates 4 g, Fiber 0.5 g, Total Fat 3 g, Saturated Fat 1 g,
Sodium 69 mg