Need an afternoon pick me up that doubles as a snack? Enjoy this refreshing drink and wait 15 minutes – you won’t feel like having a snack!
I Love Me Café ™
- ¼ cup pure pomegranate juice
- 1 and 1/3 cup cool filtered water
- 1 and ½ tsp pure lime juice
- 1 tsp agave nectar or ½ tsp stevia
- 1 tbsp chia gel (see below)
- 1 tbsp pomegranate seeds (arils)
- Ginger slice, about ¼ inch thick
- Ice (optional)
To make the chia gel:
- Mix 1 tbsp of dry chia seeds with 9 tbsp of filtered water
- Stir to prevent clumping
- Wait 10 minutes for chia to gel
- Put into a reseleable container and refrigerate
Ginger Pomegranate Twist
Makes one 8-ounce glass of punch
Powerfully fruity pomegranate gets a light zing from the lime, while the ginger adds a kick of complexity. Chia seeds and a sprinkling of pomegranate seeds add fiber and fight hunger.
Simply combine all ingredients and stir for about thirty seconds to ensure that the sweetener is dissolved.
Cut your ginger root slice, and place it in your garlic press. Squeeze it over the pomegranate mixture and the ginger juice will begin to drip. Use about five to eight drops of ginger juice (or to taste).
Freely customize the fruit balance to your liking! Add more water or ice cubes for a milder drink.
NUTRITIONAL NOTES: The combination of fresh pomegranate seeds (arils) and chia seeds provides you with two kinds of fiber: the soluble fiber of the chia gel, plus the soluble and insoluble fiber of the pomegranate seeds. Combined, they will help to keep you hydrated and feeling satisfied longer. In addition, ginger benefits digestion and several compounds in pomegranate juice may help protect against diabetes. This delicious beverage also provides a little protein and a sprinkling of healthy omega-3 oils.
Recipe by Emily Morris at the MySeeds Chia Test Kitchen